Chris Kania - USER EXPERIENCE PRO
Serving clients in NYC area.
"The freelancer you'll want to work with again."
Call (908) 403-2011
- Experienced freelancer that can play the role of user-champion for your web site and iOS projects. Defining the user experience with laser focus, while coordinating the conflicting requirements of the account, creative, and development teams. Can create interactive prototypes to help develop and demonstrate digital concepts, right on the native devices.
- Can work the full life cycle of digital projects, from brainstorming to prototyping, to detailed wireframes, complex user flows, and detailed functional specifications. Fearless in the face of clients, that don't have a clue as to what they want and need. Able to create consensus about strategy and direction from finicky clients.
Freelancer, Technical Documentation Inc. 1988-Present
One-person consulting company servicing blue-chip clients in the NYC metro area.
Multiple Companies 12/2010-Present
- Real Estate Marketplace Startup - Helped a real estate startup company improved their user experience for signup/registration, and upgrades to paying accounts. Created working prototypes and detailed programmer documentation for implementation in code.
- SPARK44 Agency - Worked for a major luxury car brand on an update to one of their content sections for their US web site. Provided proof-in-concept clickable prototype for client review and buy-in.
- Healthcare Agency in LA - Provided a UX redesign of an unbranded oncology treatment web site for mobile. Worked on a team to rework the UX for better presentation and story flow on mobile phones. Created detailed prototype and functional specification for global implementation.
- FCBHealth/Area23 - Creating user experiences for web sites and mobile applications (Veeva iRep eDetails) . Developed detailed Axure prototypes for client presentation. Project clients include Teva Pharmaceuticals, Gerber, and Merck.
- Havas Life - User experience resource on multiple projects covering web sites, and iPad eDetailing Applications and Presentation for Pharmaceutical clients. Responsible for from-scratch design of prototypes, user flows, content maps, business logic, wireframes, and developer hand-off documentation, including annotated final comps, and detailed wireframes and functional descriptions. Providing guidance and mentoring to junior Information Architects, and input into development of new standards and practices for digital projects (creating interactive prototypes in early development, for example). Knowledgeable in iPad Deployment platforms, including iNGSA and SKURA.
- Novo Nordisk with Todd Street Productions – Developed a calendar tool prototype to implement and manage home office to sales force communications. Created the interface to manage a shared community calendar to manage communication events for multiple teams. Created a functional specification and estimates to design, code and implement the tool. Presented the tool prototype to the client team.
- Vitals – Developed functional specification to support campaign management for patient referrals for physicians and hospitals advertising on the Vitals family of properties (Vitals.com, UCompareHealthcare.com, and syndication partner web sites). Created mockups and prototypes to present to internal teams.
- Interbrand/Brandwizard – Helped develop software related to digital asset brand management. Worked on a variations of their software packages from one-off custom code items for individual clients, to toolkit-version items that were used for all clients. Gathered information on client requirements (TD Bank, Department of Commerce, AT&T) to craft enhancements to existing installations. Created working prototypes to demonstrate decision-tree software implementations (SAP), and created supporting detailed state machines, interaction diagrams, logic diagrams, and user experience wireframes to support the new features for developers.
- Guardian Life Insurance - Helped to revise enrollment forms for better usability and streamlining of data entry for forms processing.
- Merck Pharmaceuticals (EMC) - Worked on Global Digital Strategy project for Merck. Part of the team helping to define the digital strategy across global web sites in the branded and unbranded Merck properties. Worked on development of specification for an internal SharePoint site for the NYC Economic Development Corporation.
- Saatchi Wellness - Worked on major launch of Allegra, both the standard web site and the mobile web site. Created working prototype of interactive product chooser for Allegra. Worked on navigation strategies for Dulera.
- CDMI - Worked on site strategies for LYRICA brand. Created interactive prototypes of three strategies for user testing. Worked on branded web sites. Created prototype interface for an Asthma Tracker application for Xolair.
Multiple Companies 7/2007 - 12/2010
- Cheil/Samsung - Worked on user experience for mobile phone related web sites and contests. Defined complete web interface for mobile web game interaction and registration.
Multiple Companies 4/2006-6/2007
- Panasonic Consumer Electronics - Performed client interviews to create the objective "what is to be done" list of items as a Business Requirements document, for a complex relaunch of the Panasonic online store.
- ADP - Defined the user interface for a Content Management System to manage documents and collateral to support a national Sales force.
Novartis Pharmaceuticals - Consulting Business Analyst and Technical Writer working for eBusiness Professional Services, crafting marketing web site standards, and working on a number of large scale consumer relationship marketing projects.
Multiple Companies 7/1997-5/2002
- Infineum – Developed user documentation to support a world-wide help desk implementation. Created intranet sites for help desk users, and for the Help Desk team members using FrontPage and Fireworks.
- Office.com – Responsible for usability analysis, for a high-traffic business-to-business web site. Developed detailed software design specifications for programmers and testers.
- Time Life/Warner Bros. – Created system documentation and disaster recovery procedures for the commercial online picture database, and intranet database.
- Merck – Responsible for system documentation to support a world-wide implementation of PeopleSoft HR. Documented installation and configuration of all components and upgrades.
- Lucent – Developed programmer documentation to support distributed computing development environment.
Multiple Companies 2/1988-7/1997
- Johnson and Johnson, Ortho Diagnostics Company - Created user and system documentation to support blood diagnostic equipment.
- UserEdge – Created Windows Help-based client newsletters for two divisions in Allied Signal.
- Timeplex – Developed user documentation to support commercial network management equipment hardware and software. Designed user interfaces for new software features.
Johnson & Johnson, Personal Products Company - Electrical Project Engineer responsible for designing, installing, and maintaining high-speed manufacturing controls systems in 3 U.S. plants and Puerto-Rico.
DeVry University, Bachelor of Science, Electrical Engineering Technology,
Member of Tau Alpha Pi National Honor Society, representing top 4% engineering students nationwide.